I am so excited about the upcoming release of Fiona Gibson’s new book called The Woman Who Upped And Left which is released in paperback on the 25th February.
At the back of this book there are some recipes and I was asked by Fiona’s publishers if I would like to be sent a recipe and then make it but also take pictures along the way.
I was chosen to make Leeks Vinaigrette, now I halved the recipe as I can’t unfortunately eat leeks so I made it for my fiancée.
Here is the recipe:
- Trim both ends of the leek, leaving the white parts.
2.Chop each leek into three of 4 pieces, drop into a pan of boiling water with the bouquet garni. Simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Remove leeks with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Using the same water, drop in the tomatoes for a few seconds, then lift out, allowing the tomatoes to cool for a few minutes, then you should be able to strip off their skins quite easily. ( I found this part quite satisfying). Keep pan of water bubbling away until it has reduced by a third.
4. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and combine with the chopped spring onion and chives. As you can see my chopping skills are not the best, But I tried.
5. To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard with 3 tablespoons of the reduced leek stock from the pan. You need to mix it till it forms a smooth emulsion, season with salt and pepper.
6. Add in the tomato , chives and spring onion mixture and mix them all together. I know it doesn’t look very appetising but it does smell great.
7. Place leeks in a shallow dish. ( I used a rather large one which was a bit of a mistake) Dress with the tomato vinaigrette and sprinkle black pepper on top.
I found this recipe fairly easy to make, the recipe was quite straight forward, I would make it again but I would chop up some of the ingredients smaller and I would use a smaller dish. My fiancée loved it. He has asked me to make some of the other recipes from the back of the book, so looking forward to that.
My review of this book will appear very soon. So keep your eyes peeled for it.